Sunday, January 6, 2013

When Jenna came to me with her idea, I knew immediately that I wanted to work on it with her. At first, I was trying to come up with an idea for how the spirits could look. I started creating silhouettes and became obsessed with mushrooms! They come in variety of patterns, styles and textures. I thought visually they would be something beautiful and strange to add as a character. I began to do more research and realized that when mushrooms are at the base or on the trunk of a tree, it usually means that the tree is rotting from the inside out. So I began thinking that for a story, these mushrooms can be beautiful, mysterious silent enemies. I'm still not exactly sure of the story but, most of the ideas centered around mushrooms killing a tree and the spirits trying to escape the tree or save it. Here are my rough silhouettes. It transformed from thinking about the spirits to playing around with shapes of mushrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment